Purgative Andean Medicinal Water
Volcanic water that detoxifies, purifies and cleanses the body
Drinking volcanic water
You are required to arrive a day before your retreat so that you’re able to detoxify your system with medicinal volcanic spring water. This water is from the Quisach’ata Volcano, located in the highlands of Cusco and has a strong laxative effect removing all toxins from your system.
By completing this therapy your body will be physically prepared for your ayahuasca ceremony, reducing the chance of ayahuasca interacting with any substances (medication, alcohol, drugs, supplements, etc) that may be in your system. This purge process can also help to purify your system of harmful substances that have accumulated in your body over the years.
The process takes approximately 3 hours. You are required to be nil by mouth for 3-4 hours before this process begins. After the purge you are able to eat and reconvene your regular activities under the restrictions listed in the categories below. You will need to arrange your own accommodation for the evening following the purge. Ask our staff as we can recommend some places to stay.
The day the medicinal water is taken allows guests time to acclimatize to the high altitude of Cusco. As part of the preparations, a nurse will conduct a basic medical examination to assess your suitability to ayahuasca. The nurse measures heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, breath frequency, as well as a general physical examination.
Cusco is 3,500 meters above sea level and people sometimes get sick from spending time at this altitude. However, prior to your retreat we recommend that you do not take any kind of medication for altitude sickness as its interaction with ayahuasca can be dangerous.
Instead, we suggest you look to relieve symptoms of altitude sickness by drinking cocoa leaves tea that is commonly available in guest houses and hotels. If altitude sickness symptoms become severe, please let us know.
Direction and Method for consuming the medicinal water.
1. Those who have been operated on within a 6 month period in the abdominal area should consult a doctor or visit a medical centre to be examined prior to consuming the water.
2. Nil by mouth for at least 4 hours before drinking.
3. You should dress warmly or bring an extra sweater as one’s blood pressure normally lowers and you may feel cold.
4. After drinking the first glass, wait 3 to 5 minutes before drinking the next glass. Stay in constant movement by either pacing back and forth or jumping to help water pass into and through your digestive system.
5. Make a strong effort to get a large quantity of the water into your system. It may be difficult but try to push through in order get as much as you can into your stomach.
6. The cleansing process takes between 40 minutes and 2 hours depending on one’s system.
7. For a complete purge or cleansing of the system, it is necessary to ingest 18 to 30 glasses.
8. When going to the toilet, do not force yourself to relieve yourself (in order to avoid undue strain to the rectum).
9. Drink the water until the liquid from your rectum is clear. At this point, you should stop drinking the water.
10. Do not drink excessive quantities of this water as it can debilitate your intestinal flora.
11. Always wash your hands after using the bathroom.
12. After purging, you should lightly massage your stomach to try to evacuate all of the water.
Normally, the first effects can be felt approximately 15 minutes after consumption. Those who purge for the first time will normally require approximately 15 cups to be able to feel the effects.
Some people, or who have previously purged, will feel the effect after approximately 7 cups.
Properties of the Water
TASTE. The taste of the water is strong and lightly salty due to the mineral content.
SMELL. The mineral water does not have a strong or unpleasant smell that would cause you to abstain from drinking it. On the contrary, it invites you to drink it as you would normal water.
COLOUR. The water in its natural state has a yellowish tint due to the mineral content.
- Total hardness (general mineral content) (mg/L) 2240
- Total Alkalinity (mg/L) 260
- Total Acidity (mg/L) CO₂ 25
- Chlorides (mg/L) CI 551
- Sulfates (mg/L) CaSO₄ 2690
- Phosphates (mg/L) HPO₄ 1
- pH 7.6
- Conductivity ( μS/Cm) 6500
- Turbidity (Ftu) 1
- Calcium (mg/L) 592
- Magnesium (mg/L) 182
- Sodium (mg/L) 238
- Potassium (mg/L) 45
- Iron (mg/L) 3
- Fluorine (mg/L) 1.5
- Dissolved Solids (mg/L) 6600
The following symptoms may be experienced during this process:
- Stomach aches.
- High / low blood pressure.
- Nausea or fainting.
- Shivering or goose-bumps.
- If you suffer from any of these effects, do not worry, they are normal and temporary in nature.
- The water passes through your mouth, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine until it leaves your system as feces.
- It also passes through your kidneys, bladder, ureters and prostate (for men) until it is removed as urine.
Ailments the water is traditionally used to treat:
- Stomach ailments
- Kidney stones
- Gastritis and oral hygiene
- Hangovers, amongst others
- You should not breastfeed during the purge.
- Children under 9 years of age can drink 2 or 3 glasses to try the water.
- Those who have been operated on within the last six months, especially if it was a gastrointestinal operation, should not purge.
- Those suffering from serious illness cannot purge.
- It is recommended that pregnant women should not purge.